CBD in New York Complete Buyers Guide
Is There a Place for Hemp-Derived Products and CBD in NY Alongside Recreational Marijuana? YES!
Why Buy CBD in NY?
People might choose hemp-derived products like CBD, Delta-8, THC-o, or Delta-9 THC for various reasons despite the availability of recreational and medical marijuana in New York.
Here are a few factors that influence this choice and will continue to be a driving force for why retailers and dispensaries should stock the products.
- Legality: In many places, recreational marijuana is still illegal so if you will be traveling out of New York state, you might want to pack legal, hemp-derived products. Hemp-derived products, especially those containing CBD, are often legal in more regions due to their lower THC content. Pick hemp-based products to stay within the legal boundaries if you plan on traveling outside of New York.
- Health Benefits: CBD and other hemp-derived compounds are often used for their potential health benefits without the psychoactive effects associated with marijuana. CBD is commonly used for pain relief, anxiety reduction, and improving sleep quality, among other things. Hemp-derived Delta-8 THC and Delta-9 THC are also used for medicinal purposes, such as managing chronic pain and stimulating appetite, without the intensity of the high associated with regular marijuana THC.
- Avoiding Extreme Intoxication: Some individuals prefer the milder effects of Delta-8, Delta 9, THC-o, or CBD. These compounds offer a more balanced experience, allowing users to remain functional and clear-headed while still benefiting from the therapeutic effects. Users of hemp-derived edibles feel that they can more effectively manage the ‘high’ of the products.
- Drug Testing: Hemp-derived products typically contain lower levels of THC compared to recreational marijuana. For individuals who undergo drug testing for employment or legal reasons, using products with lower THC content reduces the risk of a positive result (although it should be noted that the hemp-derived/synthetic THC will still cause positive drug test results if you have recently used it).
- Personal Preference: Each individual’s body reacts differently to cannabinoids. Some people might find that Delta-8, Delta-9, or CBD products suit their needs and body chemistry better than marijuana. Personal preference, tolerance levels, and desired effects all play a role in the choice between different cannabinoids.
- Availability and Accessibility: Hemp-derived products are often more widely available, especially in areas where marijuana use is restricted. You can purchase hemp-derived products at smoke shops, gasoline stations, online, pharmacies, and other retailers. However, recreational marijuana in New York must be purchased from a dispensary.
- Variety of Products: The CBD market offers a wide variety of products, including oils, tinctures, capsules, edibles, topicals, and even pet products. This diversity allows consumers to choose products that meet their preferences and lifestyles.
- Perceived Safety: Some individuals perceive CBD products as safer or more natural due to their non-intoxicating nature and the absence of significant side effects, especially when compared to the potential adverse effects of THC.
- Stigma: Yes, marijuana, even though it has been legalized for recreational use in New York, still has a stigma for some people. They often feel that using CBD or Delta 8 or 9 carries less stigma because it’s derived from hemp instead of marijuana. This is especially true for older generations who still see marijuana as a ‘gateway drug’.
Comparing Recreational MJ to Hemp-Derived Extracts
- Source: Recreational marijuana is derived from the Cannabis plant. It contains high levels of THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), the psychoactive compound responsible for the “high” feeling.
- Effects: It produces a range of effects, including altered perception, relaxation, and increased appetite, and can impair memory and coordination. These effects are primarily due to THC.
- Legality: Legal status varies globally and within different states and countries. Some places have legalized recreational marijuana, while others have strict regulations or full prohibition. New York has legalized recreational marijuana for anyone over the age of 21.
- Source: CBD can be derived from both marijuana and hemp plants. Unlike THC, CBD does not cause a psychoactive high.
- Effects: CBD is non-psychoactive and is reputed to have various potential health benefits, including reducing anxiety, managing pain, and promoting relaxation.
- Legality: CBD derived from hemp (containing less than 0.3% THC) is legal in many places, thanks to the 2018 U.S. Farm Bill. However, regulations can vary by country and state. CBD derived from marijuana with higher THC content is often only legal in places where recreational or medicinal marijuana is permitted. You’ll find both CBD derived from marijuana available at New York dispensaries and CBD derived from hemp available at a variety of retailers across the state.
Hemp-Derived Delta Products (Delta-8, THC-o, and Delta-9)
- Source: Delta-8 THC and Delta-9 THC are both cannabinoids found in cannabis plants. Delta-8 THC is found in trace amounts in hemp, while Delta-9 THC is the primary psychoactive component in marijuana. However, nowadays CBD extracted from hemp can be effectively converted to Delta-9 and infused into edibles and other products. THC-o is considered a semi-synthetic compound that’s derived from hemp-obtained delta-8 THC.
- Effects: Delta-8 THC produces a mild high that’s often described as less intense than Delta-9 THC. It can cause relaxation, increased appetite, and altered perception. Delta-9 THC, found in higher concentrations in marijuana, produces stronger psychoactive effects. Delta-9 which is obtained from hemp extraction is said to have a less intense high than marijuana’s natural Delta-9. THC-o is said to have a mild, euphoric effect.
- Legality: Hemp-derived Delta and THC products are legal gray areas. Some states explicitly ban them, while others do not. Delta-9 THC is legal for recreational use in certain places where marijuana is legalized such as New York.
People choose hemp-derived products like CBD, Delta-8 THC, THC-o, or Delta-9 THC due to legal considerations, health benefits, a desire to avoid intense intoxication, concerns about drug testing, personal preference, and the availability of these products in their region. Each individual’s choice is influenced by a combination of these factors.
Consumers like to have choices and they like it when products are easy to obtain. CBD and other hemp-derived products check all of those boxes nicely which is why they will continue to be sold in New York despite the availability of recreational marijuana at dispensaries.
Ultimately, it is in the best interests of retailers and dispensaries to continue to stock their shelves with CBD and other hemp-derived products to cater to the preferences of consumers. At the end of the day, New Yorkers like freedom of choice whether they are picking between recreational marijuana, CBD, or other hemp-derived products.