It is no longer a secret that medical marijuana is gaining more and more recognition for its beneficial outcomes in treating many diseases. There is mounting evidence that medical marijuana is beneficial in treating Lyme disease. To this effect, several studies have been conducted to show how medical cannabis can be included as a treatment option for Lyme disease. A 2008 study revealed that cannabis is effective against an “antibiotic-resistant” strain of MRSA.
This same study also pointed out to the fact that the anticipated claims that cannabis increases one’s vulnerability to infection is rather paradoxical. The researchers rather argued on the strong antibacterial potentials of different cannabinoids, especially THC and CBD.
Lyme disease is an infectious disease that is transmitted by a bacteria known as Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato. This disease is usually transmitted to human beings through a bite from an infected black legged or deer tick. The tick becomes infected after feeding on an infected deer or mouse. Moreover, the tick has to be present in the body for an estimated 24 to 48 hours before transmitting Lyme disease. However, most people with Lyme diseases have no memory of a tick bite.
The symptoms of Lyme disease usually emerge between 3 to 30 days after the bite and could be wide ranging, depending on the stage of the infection. Some of the early signs of Lyme disease include chills, fever, headache, fatigue, and swollen lymph nodes. Lyme disease is known to have three different stages which include the early localized disease, early disseminated Lyme disease as well as late disseminated Lyme disease. Even though this disease isn’t exactly common, reports have it that its prevalence has been on an increase between the years 2004 and 2016.
According to the Center of Disease Control (CDC), there are approximately 300,000 cases of Lyme infections in the USA each year. Lyme disease can easily be treated in its early stage with a simple 14 to 21 days course of oral antibiotics to eliminate all the traces. Some of the medications used in treating Lyme disease include doxycycline cefuroxime and amoxicillin. It should also be noted that persistent or chronic Lyme disease is treated with more intravenous antibiotics for a period of 14 to 21 days.
Many patients have also given a first-hand account on how medical marijuana helped in alleviating some of the symptoms of Lyme disease. The cannabis strains which are high in CBD are particularly used as a medication against Lyme disease that replaces the anti-inflammation drugs. When it comes to dealing with infections and other diseases, CBD is seen as a more effective option than THC. This assertion also explains why CBD oil is usually the go to form of medication as opposed to the smokable forms of cannabis. Several studies, including the 2008 study have revealed that inhaling marijuana smoke can lead to immunosuppression and other adverse side effects.
Many other studies have also corroborated the fact that medical cannabis is effective against Lyme diseases. The reason is the fact that cannabis has been proven to be effective in eradicating traces of spirochetes, which is one of the main causes of Lyme disease.
Scientists have argued that medical marijuana can treat the following symptoms of Lyme disease:
- It is worthy to note that Lyme disease can cause pain all over the body, including headaches, body aches, muscle aches as well as joint pains. Of course marijuana has been proven to be effective against chronic pain.
- Inflammation is another syndrome that is associated with Lyme disease. Well, it has been proven that cannabis is more effective than aspirin as an anti-inflammatory. Cannabis serves as both a muscle relaxer and a joint pain reliever. It is imperative to note that THC and CBD, which are both compounds found in medical marijuana works with the body’s endocannabinoid system to modulate inflammations caused by an overdrive immune system.
- Medical marijuana can also prevent bouts of vomiting and nausea, caused by different conditions, Lyme disease inclusive. Besides, medical marijuana can also induce hunger, thereby making it possible for patients to eat and regain strength.
- Moreover, Lyme disease is associated with fatigue, which can in turn prevent patients from having a good night sleep. Well, medical marijuana is not only known to increase energy level, but it is also effective in the treatment of different types of sleeping disorders.
- Above all, medical marijuana can effectively treat depression caused by Lyme disease. This assertion can be explained by the fact that consuming cannabis directly affects the cannabinoid receptors that affect mood.
Nonetheless, there is a need for more studies to be conducted on the effectiveness of medical marijuana in treating Lyme disease. This also goes a long way to explain why medical experts always advise patients to use cannabis medication mainly to alleviate the symptoms of Lyme disease, while simultaneously sticking to antibiotics in a bid to be totally cured. Thus, it is unfortunate that there is no solid, cohesive conclusion about whether or not Lyme disease can be cured or effectively treated with cannabis.
Cannabis strains reported to help with Lyme disease:
How To Get Medical Marijuana
To get started, simply fill out the MMJ patient registration form, press submit and a physician or clinic representative will contact you as available.