How To Get A Medical Marijuana Card In California
2019 Complete Guide
CA – The California Department of Public Health’s (CDPH) Medical Marijuana Identification Card Program (MMICP) was established to create a State-authorized medical marijuana ID card (MMICP), as well as a registry database for verification of qualified patients and their primary caregivers. This guide does not pertain to recreational weed in California which is now legal in the state. Participation by patients and primary caregivers in this MedCard program is voluntary. The MMICP Web-based registry allows law enforcement and the public to verify the validity of qualified patients or primary caregiver’s MMICP as authorization to possess, grow, transport, and/or use medical cannabis within the state of California. This complete guide answers all the questions that have come up on How To Get A Marijuana Card in California. As a resident of the state, the process on how to get a medical marijuana card in California is as follows:
MMJ patients must be entered into the California Medical Marijuana Identification Card Program (MMICP). The process to get a MedCard in CA is as follows:
STEP 1 – Doctors Appointment
- You, the Patient, is diagnosed with an approved qualifying medical condition by a doctor or physician that is a licensed MD or DO in California. The doctor must determine that medical cannabis is an appropriate treatment.
STEP 2 – Get Certified
- Your Doctor certifies in writing that cannabis may ease your symptoms and that the potential benefits of using marijuana would likely outweigh the health risks.
STEP 3 – Apply For Your Card
- You can obtain your MMIC only at your Local County Public Health Department and not through your physician or an evaluation center. Visit the county offices and contact information page to find your Local County Public Health Department.
CA Marijuana Cards Q&A
Other Important Information on the California Medical Marijuana License Process:
How Much Does a California Medical Card Cost To Get From The State?
- Fees vary by county. You will need to contact your county’s program to find out the fee your county charges for a MMIC application. Each County program may charge an amount not to exceed one hundred dollars ($100) per MMIC application or renewal, not to exceed fifty dollars ($50) per card for Medi-Cal eligible applicants, and the fees shall be waved for participants in the County Medical Services Program.
How much does a Recommending Marijuana Doctor in California Cost?
- The Average Cost to visit a Certified Ordering Doctor is $100 – $200 for the initial visit and $75 – $150 for the follow up visit.
How often do I have to see my Doctor?
- Annually for re-certification. A California medical ID card is good for 1 year.
My Card has Expired. How to get a Renewal?
- Renewing a MMIC requires the same process as when you originally applied. This includes verifying your information and giving you a new MMIC and new number. If your medical documentation is still valid, you may use this for your renewal. It may be necessary for you to obtain new medical documentation. Your county’s program will verify any information they feel is necessary. You will need to contact their office for more information.
I have my California MMJ card, where can I buy marijuana?
Once your application is approved and you receive your legal marijuana card, you or a legal representative of you will be able to buy cannabis products from a licensed Dispensary. https://www.bcc.ca.gov/clear/license_search.html
When I get my CA MMJ card, can I grow my own marijuana?
- Yes. MedCard holders are allowed to home grow up to 6 mature or 12 immature marijuana plants under California law.
What do I need to do if I change my address or other information changes?
- Please contact your county’s program for more details and fees.
Where can I find a marijuana doctor near me in CA?
- While any doctor or physician that is a licensed MD or DO in California can provide the written certification required to register for medical marijuana it is recommended to use your Primary Care Physician. You can also check out out marijuana doctors map to see if any are listed near you.
California Debilitating Conditions List – 2019
What are the Qualifying Debilitating Conditions Required to Receive Medical Marijuana in CA?
- Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS)
- Chronic pain
- Persistent muscle spasms, including, but not limited to, spasms associated with multiple sclerosis
- Seizures, including, but not limited to, seizures associated with epilepsy
- Severe nausea
- Any other chronic or persistent medical symptom that either:
- Substantially limits the ability of the person to conduct one or more major life activities as defined in the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
- If not alleviated, may cause serious harm to the patient’s safety or physical or mental health.
Get Certified for Medical Cannabis In California:
Need a Medical Marijuana Card? Get Started Here!
For potential medical marijuana patients in CA we now offer a service that makes it easy to connect with a recommending doctor. You will also be included on updates and discounts for the marijuana program. If you are interested fill out the MMJ patient registration form and a physician or clinic representative contact you. Legal Residents Only.
***CA Doctor & Physician Clinics Only***
Want to help more patients? To have your clinic or doctors practice added to our nationwide network please fill out the registration form below.
California Marijuana FAQ’s
Can I Smoke Weed in Cali Once Qualified?
Can I Take My Medical Marijuana to a Different State?
- No. According to current laws patients who obtain a medical card should use medical marijuana in California only. Medical marijuana patients may face federal and local charges of transporting marijuana if they cross state lines with the drug. This is true even if the states between which they are traveling allow medical marijuana. Should you need to travel with your marijuana it would be best to contact the state’s Bureau of health to understand the exact laws of the state you are traveling to in order to not risk breaking the law.
Who Can Use Medical Marijuana in California?
California law has several requirements for patients to be eligible to receive low-THC cannabis or medical cannabis. Since recreational weed is legal in CA, the program is voluntary and for the patients provides for tax free medical marijuana.
- A patient must have been diagnosed with a qualifying condition as stated above.
- A patient must be a California resident.
- If under the age of 18, a patient must have a certified caregiver.
- The physician that certifies in writing must determine the risks of using low-THC cannabis or medical cannabis are reasonable in light of the benefit to the patient.
- A patient must be registered with the Medical Marijuana Program and have received their registry ID card.
Is Recreational Weed Legal & Recreational Dispensary Locations Open In California?
- Yes, recreational dispensaries are open to tourists & locals without a MedCard. You will pay a solid recreational tax if you are not participating in the California Medical Marijuana Identification Card Program.
I see CBD Oils for sale on commercials, online, and at stores around town, is this CBD Oil legal in California?
- Hemp derived CBD oil is legal, however to obtain tax free Cannabis derived CBD oil, you will need to be registered with the Medical Marijuana Program.
Will CBD Oil, hemp, or cannabidiol get me high?
- No. CBD is a product that has no THC if derived from hemp and very little if derived from cannabis. THC is the chemical compound that creates the “high”. CBD products are available for patients that have a need for non-euphoric treatment.
Is CBD for Pets really a thing?
- Yes, CBD for Dogs, CBD for Cats, and CBD for pets in general is becoming a popular treatment for caring for pets that have arthritis, chronic pain and other ailments. The efficacy and safety of CBD for dogs, cats, and other pets have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The FDA only evaluates foods and drugs, not supplements like these products.
Where can I get CBD for pets?
- You can find CBD for pets at pet stores, retail and at holistic shops.
- Buy CBD for pets online.
Are THC Infused edibles allowed in California?
What are the allowable forms of marijuana?
- Flower, Extracts, Vapes, Oral Syringes, Shatter, Oils, Wax, Edibles, Topicals, and Pre-Rolls
Can I use Medical Marijuana Anywhere?
- Similar to all states California medical cannabis card holders have to be responsible. It is important to remember that when smoking in public, it may be assumed that you are using it for recreational use, which is illegal on a Federal Level. California medical marijuana card holders are advised to consume their medicine responsibly, in the safety of their home or in a private residence.
How Much Is Medical Marijuana in California?
- The price range for medical cannabis in CA is around $10 per gram and $125-$225 per ounce.
How Much Is Recreational Weed in Cali.
- The state average in 2019 is $15 per gram or $305 an ounce.
How Much Should I consume?
- You should always consult with a CA marijuana doctor before using and that doctor will set the course of treatment.